Points for Discussion, April 25. 2013
Cultural Achievements and Connections
Manning argues that spectacular achievements in culture and sports from the 1910s to the 1950s helped open the way to the political gains in the 1960s and 1970s.
The story of Carolina María de Jesus reveals how the achievements (i.e., citizenship, education) were not enough.
We all have seen the feats of people like Jesse Owens and Louis Armstrong, but perhaps Franco (Luambo) best represents the dynamic exchanges within the African Diaspora—in this case in particular it was across the Atlantic. He helped develop and promote the “African rumba,” but based his style on the Cuban son.
Remarkable set of political theorists and practitioners
There is no easy walk to freedom anywhere and many of us will have to pass through the valley of the shadow of death again and again before we reach the mountain tops of our desires.
Look at the similarities with Mandela’s speech.
3- Frantz Fanon (Martinique)
4- Kwame Nkrumah (Ghana)
Campaigns organized by Black Women
Johannesburg women in the Alexandra Bus Boycott– 1957
Against “Identity Pass” in Pretoria 1957
Make a list of achievements- 1950-1970
Discussion on Equality (page 289)
How to measure it?
How to gain social equality and retain distinctiveness?
The Jews’ plight setting the stage for the term “racism” used in the fight for equality.
The term negro to Black.
Paolo Freire published Pedagogy of the Oppressed as part of the efforts for better education.
Crises? What are the New Inequalities?
- Changing America and Bayard Rustin as we head to D.C. to rally for marriage equality (dailyqueernews.wordpress.com)
- Brother Outsider: The Life of Bayard Rustin, A film screening and discussion (lib.umn.edu)
- FACT 3: Americans support a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants (talkimmigration.wordpress.com)
- The New Abolition: Ending Adoption in Our Time (unsettlingamerica.wordpress.com)
- frantz fanon (cmlt280.wordpress.com)
- Should there be a path to citizenship for those here illegally? (chron.com)